In my profession I have had the pleasure of touring some fabulous homes. Putting aside stunning views, Versaille-esque landscaping and simply massive structures, many of these homes also have incredible amenities. But what was once uber-luxurious has now become relatively commonplace in high end homes. Here some examples:
- Gourmet kitchens
- Bathrooms with every bedroom
- His and hers water closets and bidets
- Whirlpool and bubbling bathtubs
- Steam showers
- Massive walk-in closets
- Exotic wood and stone finishes
- Paneled studies and bars
- Wine cellars
- Screening rooms
- Pool houses with built-in kitchens
- Electronically controlled lighting
- Fitness rooms
- Outdoor fireplaces
One can get jaded, but even I am occasionally surprised. Here are some nifty home improvement ideas if you have several million dollars burning a hole in your pocket:
- Fully-equipped DJ booth, situated in an alcove above the great room. You know, for the kids.
- Professional beauty salon. For one’s weekly blowouts.
- Indoor basketball court. For a kid never going to the NBA.
- Indoor pistol range. Because one can’t be too careful.
- Leather floor coverings. From one really big cow.
- Walk-in humidor. In case Fidel Castro or Rush Limbaugh stops by.
- Bowling alley(s) with electronic scoring. How does 10 pins times 10 frames equal 300?
- A Catholic chapel. Pews, kneelers, altar, devotional candles – the works. I wondered if there was priest on staff.
- Replica 1950s diner counter complete with soda fountain. And Jerk.
- Massage room. Or at least a room with a massage table in it.
- Step-in dog wash station in the mudroom. Also good for small children.
- Outdoor wood-fired pizza oven. Remember when you were a kid? Outdoor pizza just tastes better.
My favorite amenity to date? A honest-to-goodness English Butler. I thought they were extinct.
What are some of the over-the-top home amenities that you have seen? Send them to me and I will compile a list for a new post!
– Bob Gagliano
Like This Post? Share It!